Next time you’re doing your grocery shopping, stop for a second and have a look at the label at the back. Whilst it may look like a confusing set of numbers here is what you need to know to be able to determine the quality of the product.
Look at the column which has 100g. This will be on every product. Do not look at the serving size column as this will vary with each item of food.
- 20g or more per 100g is HIGH
- 3g or less per 100g is LOW
- Females should consume no more than 70g per day
- Males should consume no more than 90g per day
- Saturated Fat (Bad Fat)
- 3g or more is HIGH
- 1g and less is LOW
- Females should consume less than 20g per day
- Males should consume less than 30g per day
- 15g is considered HIGH
- 2g or less is considered LOW
- Females should consume no more than 40 – 50g per day (8 – 10 teaspoons)
- Males should consume no more than 50 – 60g per day (10 – 12 teaspoons)
More info that was handed out from the night can be downloaded here shopping-tour-take-home-message